Bodybuilding.com, Expedia, and the Amazon Rumor- Facts and Rumors
- Expedia and Bodybuilding.com are owned by the same company-http://www.libertyexpedia.com/
- Amazon is building their own brands- Amazon Basics
- Amazon Echo brand holds 45% market share among top 10 brands. TechCrunch
- Based on dollars alone, Amazon Echo as a speaker itself has grown by 67%. TechCrunch
- Amazon is a destination site. https://www.1010data.com/
- Amazon leads in sales of batteries, diapers (from the Diapers.com acquisition) and baby wipes.
- Expedia is competing with a growing travel segment. AirBnB is directly going after their business (among others) SFGate.com.
- Amazon is looking to acquire Expedia and Bodybuilding.com, turning BB.com into an information site only
- Amazon will start to make its own supplements, based upon years of market analysis- we as an industry have basically given them all the data they need to pick top skus.
I know some of this might not be a shock to everyone, but with the downtrend of brick and mortar business, people tend to go to stores to get information to purchase online at a cheaper price. We used to be the go to stores to talk to a human being either to get nutritional counseling or information on supplements, because at one time, the web was confusing. No one really knew who was the authoritative site for good information. That is where stores made their money, building client relationships and building a buying base.
2017 needs to be a turnaround for this industry. We need to make sure we become the authority again. Associations like the ISSN are helping, along with all the trade shows and the Europa Universities.
If we want the Bodybuilding.com, Expedia, and the Amazon Rumors to come true, then continue with business as is. If you don’t and you want to make money again, look at your business and make changes you see fit. We are all in this together.